Ro,
I have just finished Skyping with your momma. She sure does make me so happy. Every day I look forward to Skyping with you both, it's the highlight of my day. Unfortunately it was past your bedtime and you were fast asleep, I am looking forward to speaking to you tomorrow morning when you wake up.
I'm not going to lie Ro, these past few weeks have been really tough. I just can't adequately describe how unnatural and hard it is to be apart from you and your momma. Every day I miss you a little bit more, you have grown so much since I last saw you and that both makes me sad and very happy. Happy because I see how you are prospering and thriving in this world of ours and sad that I don't get to see the day to day transformations you are going through.
However, it was so important that I got everything set up for our family over here in England before you arrived. Both your momma and I wanted everything to be perfect for you. So that has been my job for the past month, trying so hard to get everything perfect for you and mom. The knowledge of that has kept me strong whilst apart from you both. Plus, your momma is so amazing at keeping in touch and making sure I don't miss a single thing, I am always the first to know what is going on in your day to day, and I never miss a Skype! Okay....that's not true. Last night I was so exhausted that I fell asleep on the couch and missed our date. I was so upset when I woke up at 4.30am. I wish you could have seen me, I must have looked so funny all 6ft5" of me curled up on a tiny sofa, suffice to say, I was hurting! But it was okay because your mommy woke me up to some wonderful pictures of you fast asleep in Carrefour! That's a crazy place Rosella.
Back to my job, getting everything ready! For the first year of your life, Rosella, we will be living in a place called Cambridge. Cambridge is a town in the south east of England, not too far from London. It is especially know as being home to Cambridge university- the best university in the world. As such, it is an ideal place for pharmaceutical companies to set up shop, so they are close to some of the most cutting edge research in the world. You wont remember this first year of your life, and we probably wont ever live in Cambridge again. But I promise you it is going to be such a happy year together as a family. We will take lots of pictures. I know your mummy is nervous about moving to England, it is a big move for her, but I know the thought of us all being together is what is helping her. Besides, I know that when she gets here she is going to love it! Cambridge is so beautiful and we live right near a river, which she will love. There are plenty of beautiful walks for us to take, I am excited.
About our apartment, well, it was so difficult and stressful trying to find a place for us all to live. Cambridge is EXPENSIVE! Let me tell you Rosella, moving from Leeds (where we will live next year) to Cambridge the rent has tripled! However, I managed to find us a lovely little apartment close to the city centre and not far from the bus stop that Daddy has to cycle to every morning to go to work. I say a little apartment because it is exactly that, little. It is a small bathroom, a kitchen and a room with a nice big bed, sofa, dining table and office desk in. But it's okay, it meets our purposes, and I have tried my best to decorate and make it look nice for you and mommy, I even cleared up enough space so that you can crawl around! You aren't crawling yet, but with how strong you are I don't think it will be too long before you are! I know that scares mommy, to see how quick you are growing, and it scares me too a little, but mostly I am just excited to see you develop and grow and learn learn learn. You are a sponge at the moment, I am so excited to teach you all about the world with momma.
Now, you might want to skip this paragraph...depending on how you develop and what interests you pick up in life, my work may bore you, which I am prepared for ;) But it wont stop telling you about it anyway. I am currently working for Pfizer, the biggest pharmaceutical company in the world. My role is an industrial trainee, this is a scheme that is available in UK universities that allows you to have a part of your degree working for a company. This is something I jumped at the chance to do as, not only would it give us money and a chance to save, but it gives me invaluable experience which will make it easier to get a job in the future. I am working on something called preformulation. When a drug is discovered, there are lots and lots of things that must happen before it can be sold. One of these things is that it must be tested, to see if it is safe. Preformulaiton is when a drug in it's raw form is mixed with lots of other chemicals, 'excipients', so that they can be administered to humans and animals in a safe form for testing. My job is to research solubility. Solubility is important in the drug industry as more and more drugs are becoming 'hydrophobic' this means that they hate water, and so can't dissolve. It's important that drugs dissolve in water as all inside us, blood, is made up of water. So without solubility, the drug doesn't have any effect at all. So I am researching how to increase the solubility of really hydrophobic drugs by mixing them with carefully selected 'excipients' before dosing. If I am honest I am not 100% passionate about it at the moment, but I think that's because I haven't had much time to get in the labs yet. The theory behind everything is interesting though, because it pulls a lot from physical chemistry, which is the study of how atoms and molecules behave at a fundamental level. I am at a crossroads now, where I can either go down a physical chemistry route, or a synthetic route. I have had lots of experience with synthetic chemistry and I know I enjoy it, but not much experience with physical chemistry. This year should give me the experience I need to make an informed decision next year when I chose my research project. That's enough about my work anyway, but always know that you can come to me and ask me about everything I do whenever you want, I will always be keen to share with you what I do.
So, like I said, I have been missing you both like crazy! But guess what! In just a few weeks you will both be here, the thought of that makes me so happy. We can get settled and enjoy our time in Cambridge together.
Before I go, I just want to clear something up, yes these past few weeks have been tough, but each and every day I am still happier than I have ever been in my life. No matter what trials or difficulties your momma and I may face, the knowledge that we have each other, and you, make it all worth it. How could I possibly be unhappy when you both exist in my life. We are a family, that is what is truly important, we have each other and we are so lucky to be able to say that, always know that just by having a loving and caring family, you are the luckiest girl around. That is something that your mommy reminded me of when I was quite down when I first moved here, I am so grateful to her for that, it keeps me smiling each and every day.
Right, I must go now. I need to go and get some essentials in! I am going to spend the rest of the day writing thank you cards for all the wonderful gifts and cards that people gave us to welcome you to our world, then I am going to get a Chinese, settle and watch Modern Family, which I love! I hope we can watch it together some day, I think you will really love it.
All my love from Cambridge, UK.
Daddy,
xxxxxx
I have just finished Skyping with your momma. She sure does make me so happy. Every day I look forward to Skyping with you both, it's the highlight of my day. Unfortunately it was past your bedtime and you were fast asleep, I am looking forward to speaking to you tomorrow morning when you wake up.
I'm not going to lie Ro, these past few weeks have been really tough. I just can't adequately describe how unnatural and hard it is to be apart from you and your momma. Every day I miss you a little bit more, you have grown so much since I last saw you and that both makes me sad and very happy. Happy because I see how you are prospering and thriving in this world of ours and sad that I don't get to see the day to day transformations you are going through.
However, it was so important that I got everything set up for our family over here in England before you arrived. Both your momma and I wanted everything to be perfect for you. So that has been my job for the past month, trying so hard to get everything perfect for you and mom. The knowledge of that has kept me strong whilst apart from you both. Plus, your momma is so amazing at keeping in touch and making sure I don't miss a single thing, I am always the first to know what is going on in your day to day, and I never miss a Skype! Okay....that's not true. Last night I was so exhausted that I fell asleep on the couch and missed our date. I was so upset when I woke up at 4.30am. I wish you could have seen me, I must have looked so funny all 6ft5" of me curled up on a tiny sofa, suffice to say, I was hurting! But it was okay because your mommy woke me up to some wonderful pictures of you fast asleep in Carrefour! That's a crazy place Rosella.
Back to my job, getting everything ready! For the first year of your life, Rosella, we will be living in a place called Cambridge. Cambridge is a town in the south east of England, not too far from London. It is especially know as being home to Cambridge university- the best university in the world. As such, it is an ideal place for pharmaceutical companies to set up shop, so they are close to some of the most cutting edge research in the world. You wont remember this first year of your life, and we probably wont ever live in Cambridge again. But I promise you it is going to be such a happy year together as a family. We will take lots of pictures. I know your mummy is nervous about moving to England, it is a big move for her, but I know the thought of us all being together is what is helping her. Besides, I know that when she gets here she is going to love it! Cambridge is so beautiful and we live right near a river, which she will love. There are plenty of beautiful walks for us to take, I am excited.
About our apartment, well, it was so difficult and stressful trying to find a place for us all to live. Cambridge is EXPENSIVE! Let me tell you Rosella, moving from Leeds (where we will live next year) to Cambridge the rent has tripled! However, I managed to find us a lovely little apartment close to the city centre and not far from the bus stop that Daddy has to cycle to every morning to go to work. I say a little apartment because it is exactly that, little. It is a small bathroom, a kitchen and a room with a nice big bed, sofa, dining table and office desk in. But it's okay, it meets our purposes, and I have tried my best to decorate and make it look nice for you and mommy, I even cleared up enough space so that you can crawl around! You aren't crawling yet, but with how strong you are I don't think it will be too long before you are! I know that scares mommy, to see how quick you are growing, and it scares me too a little, but mostly I am just excited to see you develop and grow and learn learn learn. You are a sponge at the moment, I am so excited to teach you all about the world with momma.
Now, you might want to skip this paragraph...depending on how you develop and what interests you pick up in life, my work may bore you, which I am prepared for ;) But it wont stop telling you about it anyway. I am currently working for Pfizer, the biggest pharmaceutical company in the world. My role is an industrial trainee, this is a scheme that is available in UK universities that allows you to have a part of your degree working for a company. This is something I jumped at the chance to do as, not only would it give us money and a chance to save, but it gives me invaluable experience which will make it easier to get a job in the future. I am working on something called preformulation. When a drug is discovered, there are lots and lots of things that must happen before it can be sold. One of these things is that it must be tested, to see if it is safe. Preformulaiton is when a drug in it's raw form is mixed with lots of other chemicals, 'excipients', so that they can be administered to humans and animals in a safe form for testing. My job is to research solubility. Solubility is important in the drug industry as more and more drugs are becoming 'hydrophobic' this means that they hate water, and so can't dissolve. It's important that drugs dissolve in water as all inside us, blood, is made up of water. So without solubility, the drug doesn't have any effect at all. So I am researching how to increase the solubility of really hydrophobic drugs by mixing them with carefully selected 'excipients' before dosing. If I am honest I am not 100% passionate about it at the moment, but I think that's because I haven't had much time to get in the labs yet. The theory behind everything is interesting though, because it pulls a lot from physical chemistry, which is the study of how atoms and molecules behave at a fundamental level. I am at a crossroads now, where I can either go down a physical chemistry route, or a synthetic route. I have had lots of experience with synthetic chemistry and I know I enjoy it, but not much experience with physical chemistry. This year should give me the experience I need to make an informed decision next year when I chose my research project. That's enough about my work anyway, but always know that you can come to me and ask me about everything I do whenever you want, I will always be keen to share with you what I do.
So, like I said, I have been missing you both like crazy! But guess what! In just a few weeks you will both be here, the thought of that makes me so happy. We can get settled and enjoy our time in Cambridge together.
Before I go, I just want to clear something up, yes these past few weeks have been tough, but each and every day I am still happier than I have ever been in my life. No matter what trials or difficulties your momma and I may face, the knowledge that we have each other, and you, make it all worth it. How could I possibly be unhappy when you both exist in my life. We are a family, that is what is truly important, we have each other and we are so lucky to be able to say that, always know that just by having a loving and caring family, you are the luckiest girl around. That is something that your mommy reminded me of when I was quite down when I first moved here, I am so grateful to her for that, it keeps me smiling each and every day.
Right, I must go now. I need to go and get some essentials in! I am going to spend the rest of the day writing thank you cards for all the wonderful gifts and cards that people gave us to welcome you to our world, then I am going to get a Chinese, settle and watch Modern Family, which I love! I hope we can watch it together some day, I think you will really love it.
All my love from Cambridge, UK.
Daddy,
xxxxxx
p.s. can't wait to see this smiling face on Skype tomorrow morning!

No comments:
Post a Comment